When not hitting the target is not a complete failure.

I am not going to use the word FAIL or any of its derivatives.
I don't think I need to. I have my excuses for not hitting the 50,000 word target for my novel in November, and some of them are pretty good, but I did achieve just over the 35,000 mark - and that is not to be sniffed at.

I can hear the deriders...just over 1000 words per day, I write that before my breakfast. Well, you may do but I do not (not unless breakfast is around the third hour of the afternoon).

I have made a good start into my novel. I have proved that the plot line works and that my characters behave in the manner I assumed that they would. Even more importantly I am pleased with my prose. I have not thrown in a hefty pile of cliches, alliteration has been consigned to the dustbin and my descriptions and descriptors are pertinent and resonant. I am pleased with my progress so far.

My next step is to create a new deadline - perhaps a MeWriNoMo - and complete the novel. It is not going to be a hugely thick tome so a month should do it. Then a trip to Italy to make sure that my characters really do see what I have said they see when standing in certain places, and that those places do exist and I haven't remembered Florence by mistake (because the novel is based in Mestre and Venice and not a fictional location I need to get my facts right).

With that in mind, Christmas around the corner and a brand spanking New Year to look forward to, I am in a positive frame of mind and that can only help me in achieving my goal. Onwards and Upwards!


Comments

Popular Posts